Monday, April 4, 2011

AmeriCanuck Paleo Challenge: Do or Do Not...


For those of you who don't know, my dear friend Patrick and I decided last week to partake in a little nutritional challenge between April 3rd and May 8th. I've really been on a Paleo kick lately, but find my commitment to it wanes from time to time. Turns out, grains really are an addiction!

Why are they so hard to give up? Well let's be honest: we've grown up thinking that these were good for us, that we needed "carbs" in order to function and so on and so forth. Old habits are hard to break, as are previous mindsets. Recent studies by Paleo gurus Art De Vany (http://arthurdevany.pro.subhub.com/), Robb Wolf (http://www.robbwolf.com) and Loren Cordain (http://www.thepaleodiet.com), have shown otherwise.

In a nutshell (pardon the pun), the Paleo diet means no grains, no dairy, no legumes or sugar. It means plenty of lean meats, quality vegetables and fruits, and healthy fats as well as some nuts. (A simple google search will answer the rest of your questions). Protein, carbs, fat. Simple right? Sure. How long have you gone without break, rice, and pasta? Not as easy as you think. The more I educate myself however, the more I realize that this is really doing nothing for me. Why would we put garbage "food" into our bodies? You wouldn't fuel a Ferrari with diesel would you??? (Hint: No. You wouldn't.)

Back to the challenge.

My friend wants to shed some pounds. I'd like to work on my discipline and if it means some aesthetic qualities show up at the end (ie. abs), I'm not going to complain about it. We've set goals for ourselves, taken pictures on day 1 and taken measurements. We've told our friends and family on a Facebook group what we are doing so that we can hold ourselves accountable.

It's been two days and I feel great. Did hot yoga on day 1, and had a great workout in the evening today. What's driving me is not necessarily the end goal, but the process and the commitment to eating right, and fueling this Ferrari with some high octane fuel. It also helps that my buddy down south is doing the same. And if in turn, it makes you think about some of the stuff you are actually putting into your body, and makes you really THINK about it, then hopefully it will help you along your path too. This is why I do what I do (blog name! They do this in movies all the time!)

To finish, I read a tweet today from @_robin_sharma today: "The translation of "I'll try" is "I'm not committed."

I think a little green dude in Star Wars said something similar once.

No comments:

Post a Comment